Structural Report

Structural reports (also known as engineers reports or specific defects reports) are becoming more popular as the years pass.  With mortgage company valuers realising their expertise is in valuing the property for the mortgage companies they often require the assistance of a building surveyor or engineer to give an opinion on the structural stability of the property.  Often they refer to the reports as structural reports or engineers reports.

Generally, these reports relate to one specific problem and usually centre around cracks that can be seen in the brickwork or the stonework of the property.  More often than not these cracks relate to heave, movement or subsidence in the property.  Often we find the owners of the property are amazed to find that the valuers think they have structural problems, as they have often lived or even worked in the property for many years.  They do not feel that their properties are unsafe at all.

Free phone 0800 298 5424


Uninsurable risk

Often, it is not that the properties are unsafe it's that insurance companies may not wish to insure the property if there is a problem that is progressive, such as tree roots will cause problems in the future.


If you need help with building surveys, structural reports / engineers reports / specific defects reports, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please call 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat.  We also deal with commercial properties.  In relation to these we provide reports on dilapidations, dilaps claims, Scott schedules, schedules of condition, and any other commercial matters.  Please note we are independent surveyors.

We are happy to provide Specific Defects Report on a particular concern you have with your property, for example dampness, cracking, movement etc.

Examples of Specific Defects Reports we have produced in the past:

Please see our other articles on cracking:

Cracks in my Wall

How, in our experience, Insurance Companies deal with Cracks in Properties

Please see our section on: Specific Defects Reports

Please contact us for help and advice on this type of building claim or insurance claim or any other structural problems on 0800 298 5424 and a chartered surveyor will ring you back to discuss this further.

If you would like Dilaps Help then please visit our website and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help website

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the website are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions.  Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision

All rights are reserved the contents of the website are not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of