With the Party Wall Act etc 1996
time waits for no-one,
be they the building owner
or the adjoining owner
for a Section 1 Party Wall Notice


If you would like to talk to a surveyor about party walls, schedules of conditions, structural surveys or building surveys on the property or any disputes that you may have with the builders, boundary disputes, etc, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat.

FREE PHONE 0800 298 5424 Today

party walls

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 waits for no-one

We feel that one of the very best things about The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is that it sets out time limits in which the parties involved (the building owner and the adjoining owner or owners and their respective party wall surveyors) need to act. This practice, with regard to the Party Wall Act, has given time limits for whoever makes it, and is one of the best parts of the Act this does mean that the party has rights that are time limited, which means they can proceed on regardless of whether you get a response or no response.

Building owner, one month notice for a Section 1 Notice

In this case the building owner is only required to give one month's notice before the planned start date for the work. This notice is valid for one year.

Adjoining owner's 14 day response, three options

The adjoining owner or adjoining owners can respond in one of three ways:-

Give consent in writing within 14 days

Give dissent in writing within 14 days

Do nothing within 14 days!

party walls

Building owner's 14 days response to the counter-notice served against them

Hawk Calendar Clipart

Equally, if a counter-notice is received from the adjoining owner the building owner has to respond within 14 days.

14 days is the key time that the adjoining owner has to respond within. Make sure you keep to these times, particularly for the adjoining owner. If you don't keep to these times then you can lose your ability to negotiate and influence the deal. By deal we mean the work that is being carried out on the party wall.

You may be interested in these Party Wall articles too:

Independent building surveyors expert advice

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor to specialise in party wall work please contact us on 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back. We are also happy to carry out third surveyor work. If you require a structural survey, a schedule of condition, a dilapidations report, specific defects report, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact us.

If you have a commercial property, be it leasehold or freehold, then you may wish to look at our Dilaps Website at www.DilapsHelp.com and for Disputes and anything else relating to party wall matters please go to our Disputes Help website www.DisputesHelp.com .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the website are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the website are not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of  www.1stAssociated.co.uk